Anchor Text – What You Need To Know
When optimizing a site you need to take into account the anchor text used in hyperlinks. The words contained in the anchor text can determine the ranking that the page will receive by search engines.
Tips to improve the anchor text of your website:
– Users and search engines like anchor text that is easy to understand. Choose a descriptive text that provides an overview of what the page you are linking to is about.
– Avoid writing generic anchor text like “page”, “article”, “click here”. Also avoid using the URL as the anchor text, unless you need to make your link building strategy look more natural.
– Write concise text, short and descriptive. Don’t use more than 3 or 4 keywords as anchor text (it looks spammy).
– Optimize your internal links as well: This could help users and Google to better navigate your website. Don’t try to play the search engines, if you only use the one keyword you want to rank for as the anchor text, you could get your site penalized.
– Make sure to use the title=”” tag as part of your hyperlink